Icebreaker from Hell

Trust.

I once participated in the icebreaker from hell.

We all had to break off into pairs and one person had to be blindfolded. As my luck had it, the Chosen Blindfolded Beauty Queen happened to be me. So I reluctantly allowed myself to be blindfolded and I held onto my partners arm for dear life; I mean I had a death grip on her arm. I’m pretty sure my fingerprints are still on her arm till this day.

Now the instructions for this exercise, was that I had to trust my partner to take me through an obstacle course just by following their lead. Well, in my mind, the obstacle course looked something like the first day of training camp in the military.

As I said, the icebreaker from hell.

There was no way I could allow this person to lead me through this and survive. There was just NO way.

I had already prepared myself to miss a step, tumble down the stairs and break an ankle…maybe even a collarbone because I heard breaking your collarbone hurts pretty bad. I was anticipating the absolute worst!

With every instruction my partner gave me, I followed about 10% of her directives. If she said, “Take a step.” I wiggled my big toe. If she said, “Turn around.” I stayed perfectly still because I figured if I don’t move much, nothing bad can happen to me.

In retrospect, this story is hilarious but it reminds me of how many of us are standing perfectly still in the same spot because we’re afraid that if we move, if we take a chance, something bad will happen. And your something bad may not be like what I envisioned, falling down the stairs and having to wear a full body cast for a few months. Maybe your “something bad” is rejection or failure. Maybe you feel that if you take that step, what if you can’t control what happens next?

But trusting that inner voice inside you that says “You can do this! That’s a great idea! This could work!” takes you giving away your need to control and allowing yourself to go through the process; the process it takes to achieve that goal and dream that’s inside of you. Success is an obstacle course. Some parts you can walk through, but some parts you have to get down low on the ground and squeeze through it. You’ll never get through it by wiggling your toe or standing still. The obstacle course to success is different for everyone but you have to trust that by going through your process, you’ll get through successfully to the end.

Christine A.

I’d love to hear from you. Do you have a hard time taking risk? Do you feel complacent or stagnant right now because of fear? What are some fears or challenges that have kept you from achieving your full potential?

Please comment below or send me an email.

32 thoughts on “Icebreaker from Hell

1. astoldbysid says:

I’m so glad you’re back to blogging! ❤️ This post was well written, and I loved that it got me thinking.

I know I struggle taking risks regarding major decisions in my life because I fear failure more than anything. I hate it because I feel like I’m stopping myself from reaching my full potential. However, I’m trying to be more accountable by announcing the moves I want to make because then those who support me make sure I follow through!

Great post Christine! 👏🏾

Liked by 2 people

• changedbypurpose says:

Thank you for reading, Sid! No more letting fear hold us back. We have so much to give the world! Believe it or not you’re someone who’s helped me be accountable too. Every time I see you tweet something, I’m like oh gosh let me get my life together! So glad we were able to connect 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• astoldbysid says:

Yes ma’am! I’m ready for us to both grow! & 🙈 girl, it’s funny that I hold you accountable. You’re someone who keeps me in check, especially since you waited for my post. Can’t wait to see what more we’re both able to do. ❤️

Liked by 2 people

2. TC Ivy says:

WOW I needed to hear this! I’m going through this trust issue at the moment. If I were in that practice I would have told that girl step aside and decided to slowly feel my way through the course because I always feel like it would be better just to do things myself lol

Liked by 2 people

3. Lucy says:

I absolutely love this story! I can totally relate. I am gradually learning to follow my inner voice, and the more I do, the more I realize how the fear of failure tried to take over my life. But now, I do it even when I’m scared! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Liked by 2 people

4. Marilisa says:

What an amazingly written piece! You hit the nail right on the head. I have this tendency to fear the outcome of my decisions. I always try and stay 2 steps ahead of my own self “just in case” so if my plan doesn’t have the next 5 steps mapped out I’ll turn away from it because it is not well planned to me. This is a product of how I was raised. I was taught to never pursue something unless you have a plan A plan B and plan C. This raised a lot of anxiety in me which keeps me stagnate in my place because I’m scared to make a move. The problem is I don’t really hear that voice saying “you can do it” in my head because my head has already been filled with doubt from outsiders opinions. I need to gain the confidence to take control of my life and my success. I kind of just want success to fall on my lap but like you said I have to get down and dirty and I have to TRUST the process.

Liked by 2 people

• changedbypurpose says:

You just motivated me to shrink and get in your head and scream “YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU’RE AMAZING!!” I love you lil sis. Plans are good but not everything in life needs to be planned to the T. We end up overanalyzing things sometimes. I’m guilty of that. Thank you for sharing. Lets get down and dirty and do the work! First step is being brave enough to step out…without your long blueprint. I love YOU

5. Stacey says:

Amazing point of view on taking risk and best way to overcome fear or taking risk is by deciding that you don’t want to be in the same place that you are now. People can say they want success or they want change but, they don’t want to go through the journey of what’s to come because I learned it’s journey and a journey to enjoy riding in. you have to kick fear in the face and in order to go somewhere in life you can’t stay too comfortable in your comfort zone…… beautifully written 💕

Much love,
    Stacey

Liked by 2 people

• changedbypurpose says:

That’s a great point Stacey. The decision to even desire to not fear anymore is where it all starts! We have to get violent with it like you said and kick it in the face! lol Getting over fear cannot be passive. Thank you for reading and sharing 🙂

6. melissasuemills says:

I love this! Because a lot of us go through this. it’s not really being talked about or most importantly “Dealt with”

Fear is such a road stop for a lot of us. Especially when you decide to put your work or art out there. But over the bridge of fear is freedom! That exhale you take after just taking that leap is what’s so rewarding! This post just encouraged me to push harder and keep going! Thank you for writing this! 💕

Liked by 1 person

• changedbypurpose says:

You’re so right! Fear is a major roadblock for a lot of people! I know countless people (including myself) who have allowed fear to cause them to shrink back. But as you stated over the bridge of fear is freedom! So glad I was able to encourage you. Thank you for reading and sharing 🙂

7. Rose says:

Great read! Fear of failing still rears its ugly head in my life sometimes. It stems from always wanting to be successful; or right. I’m learning to trust my gut, and take the chance. Life is too short to let fear control us. Thanks for the lost!