wynwood, changed by purpose, Who U Wit

Self-Care Pt.2: “Who U Wit?”

I have a confession to make.

I’m a Christian but I like trap music.

Probably has to do with the fact that I grew up during the birth of 90’s rap music like 2Pac, Biggie, Hot Boyz lol (so telling my age here) and later Jay and Nas which later evolved into what millennials dub trap music & stripper music: Young Jeezy, Lil John, 2 Chainz, & Rick Ross. (Stick with me. I promise I’m going somewhere with this).

There was a song they use to play freshman year of college at one of the frat parties. When this song came on, you knew that if you were not in a sorority/fraternity…run for cover lol.

“Who You Wit? Who You Wit? Who You Wit? Get crunk! Who You Wit?”

Out of nowhere these fraternities would party walk in formation, not caring what innocent bystanders were in their way; they were making a stand for solidarity showing us, just indeed, who they were with.

Who you’re with and more importantly, who is with you matters when it comes to self-care.

I personally have a great tribe of women who are always encouraging me through their concern for me and through their actions.

There’s the woman who at almost 50 decided to go back to school and is on the dean’s list for making straight A’s meanwhile I have to pray to the Lord to just help me pass the class.

Or young women like my cousin who refused to be low-balled and kept believing God for the salary she felt she deserved. Even when she saw people less qualified excel and advanced past her, even when her own insecurities tried to make her believe she didn’t deserve the position, she never gave up! Now her hard work and determination paid off; she has the corner office and the position she deserves.

There’s the international superstar singer who rocks the stage every week in front of celebrities and wealthy businessmen, but also faithfully rocks her job as a mommy of twins and a teen. How she does it? I have no clue, but she inspires me.

Or the almost fifty-fine lady who decided to step out in faith and leave her job she had been at for over a decade, because she felt there was something more for her to do. Her boldness to step out of her comfort zone, caused God to bless her with an amazing position and an even more amazing increase in her salary. Can you say cha-ching?

Through blogging I have made connections with some of the most beautifully spirited women I have ever met…or not yet met lol. These ladies will message me if I’m missing in action, they repost and comment on my blogs, they encourage me through sharing their own struggles and triumphs. Ladies like Mellie, Stacey & Sid just to name a few.

This year, I have consciously made the decision to choose to have people around me who I know are with me!

I may not talk to them every day or see them all the time but they are necessary for Christine to take care of Christine. Without these ladies I would be here writing all these lovely post…probably from the inside of a lovely, white, padded-leather room.

Love yourself enough to surround yourself with people who care about you. People who will push and challenge you.

Don’t surround yourself with people who always agree with you; you’ll never grow that way. Love yourself enough to allow those that are around you to help stretch you.

You don’t get to choose your family but you do get to choose your friends.

Choose wisely.

Read my previous post about Self-care Pt.1: Take A Chill Pill here

Christine A.

I’d love to hear from you! Have you given yourself the proper self-care by surrounding yourself with people who are with you? Please comment or email and share this post.

18 thoughts on “Self-Care Pt.2: “Who U Wit?”

1. Rose says:

I love this post so much! I am so thankful for the support group of family/friends who are with me! It’s so important to have, because you can always channel into that in moments of sadness, or in difficult times. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful for my crew!

Liked by 2 people

2. M says:

OMG! I’m famous now, you mentioned m in your post Lol

For me self care starts with vulnerability, being open and honest about something I am currently going through. Also cutting off things and people who aren’t for me nor encourage me to grow.

I love when you said “Don’t surround yourself with people who always agree with you; you’ll never grow that way. Love yourself enough to allow those that are around you to help stretch you”

If you have a yes man on your team.. GET RID OF THEM! They don’t want to see you win. Get you some people who will continuously keep it real with you.

Amazing Post Christine. I’m so proud of you! Love you

Liked by 1 person

3. Stacey says:

Ohhh yeah *haitian voice* … you put me on your post *haitian voice* …, ohhhh, I’m going to be a superstar …. 😂😂

Now, that I had my little fun cause It’s in my DNA to have fun but, of course I will encourage you the best way I can – no matter what. i see something in you and doing something that many are afraid to chase after . You’re truly amazing and you keep telling me I motivate you – nahhh, you motivate me to keep going, I love reading a great/awesome post from you.

Self care is very important in life and I learned that the hard way cause I love rooting for people and I use to forget to root for myself, just as much as I root for others. I never wanted to put my needs first because I didn’t want to be selfish but, I realize if taking care of you , and putting yourself first is being selfish then sign me up. Self care is like self love , you can’t take care of yourself if you don’t love yourself. When you love yourself, you remind yourself what is important to you and you start to take care of you then you start to put your needs before others. I’m truly blessed with the five bestest friends that I have in my life, especially one in particular who inspired me to start my own blog and his encouraging words every day + tough love helps me big time cause boy did I want to throw in the towel, lol and I agree if you got a friend that allows agree with you and can’t be honest with you no matter how bad the truth may sound then you need a new friend – point . Blank & period. Epi that’s it – ohhhkay * Haitian voice*

“Surrounding yourself with people who have positive energy, who are uplifting & encouraging, ambitious and optimistic about the future can help your mental health in ways you wouldn’t even imagine.” – come on somebody, y’all not listening cause if you’re surround with people who complains a lot and don’t do nothing but sit there & gossip + never want to talk about change or the future , always talk down on you like they own your life then boo , I’m sorry to break it to you – you need a new friend…….. alright I’m done for tonight 🙌🏾✌🏾.

Xoxo,
    Stacey

Liked by 1 person

• changedbypurpose says:

Wow this is so powerful. I can totally relate because I have been one that is always rooting for others and helping to push their dreams to manifestation. Even in stepping out and doing something for me, I’ve had to create boundaries to work on my things and its been adjustment for others who always thought I have all the time in the world to help them. But I’m learning that on my journey of self-love, it also means I need to go hard for me too! Here’s to this being our season Stacey! xoxo Appreciate you more than you know…

4. AC (@ashleyncraddock) says:

So sweet of you to mention the lovely ladies who are most definitely with you. I had to take notice to this form of self-care. The friends I thought were my friends, seemingly never took an interest in what I was doing creatively. I never noticed at first but once I did peep I made sure that I ONLY had people around me who were interested in what I was doing as a FRIEND. Support from your family is great, but support from true friends who want to see you win is an extra push when needed.

Liked by 1 person

• changedbypurpose says:

Ashley, there is nothing like getting support from your friends 🙂 But I’ve come to realize that not all my friends have an interest in reading my blog or watching my videos and thats ok. That doesn’t make them less of a friend. It stings sometimes because I feel like I am a supportive person but I can’t scratch someone off because they aren’t interested in my blog. I have a friend that performs but I can’t go to all his performances. Doesn’t mean I don’t love and support him though.

5. Ashlei says:

Having supportive and encouraging friends is def important for self care! I’ve actually lost a friend recently because I couldn’t deal with all the negativity, def not good for your well being!

Liked by 1 person

6. Shawandie says:

This was was good. I have never seen it that way but it’s true. Also, if you don’t have your positive circle, It’s ok to start off alone rather than be around the wrong people.

Liked by 1 person

7. We Natural Gurlz says:

I have definitely started to make some changes in regards to my circle. I only want to be surrounded by people who are positive and uplifting. I have had to distance myself from some extended family because of the negativity (it was really affecting me mentally). This was such a great post. I truly enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.